I plan to buy him in Spring 2012. He is likely to be:
- 8 to 12 years old: mature and well settled but still young enough to manage a lot of work,
- probably around 16hh,
- with good conformation - no significant weakness in his physique,
- well schooled so he knows what all the aids are and responds to the messages from voice, hands, legs and seat,
- very calm (laid back) so strange or unexpected objects or events do not panic him and he is rock steady in traffic, but
- very willing: so another day, another mile, another rain shower do not leave him sulky or unwilling to go on,
- happy to be on his own,
- used to living out so, whatever our overnight circumstances, he is content,
- with very good legs and hoof, because “It aint the ‘unting on the ‘ill that ‘urts the ‘orses ‘ooves but ‘ammer, ‘ammer, ‘ammer on the ‘ard ‘igh road” and we will travel a lot of roads,
- It will help if he picks his feet up and does not shuffle and wear shoes out faster;
February 2012 UPDATE: He is Strider
11 years, 16.2hh, breeding unknown but looks like some Shire
But this is horses and the “right” one may differ from that and still be “right”.
Please contact me if you know of a horse you believe would be suitable and is available – ideally within 50 miles of Cheltenham.
Costs and logistics make having two horses difficult, but I hope to identify a suitable reserve horse, or horses, which could be used in the event of injury or other problem. Can you offer a possible reserve?